Thursday, January 24, 2013

Nostalgia Jukebox

I was in my favourite neighbourhood coffee shop yesterday and what came on the radio but this Beatles classic. In no time I was singing along sotto voce and tapping my foot. What is it about this tune that makes one so happy? Is it the comforting feeling of a neighbourhood its' people and routine? Say what you want about Paul McCartney - he does write a fine pop tune.

By the way - we did seek out this spot while in Liverpool.

I'm not one of the negative nellies who feel he doesn't have the depth of John Lennon. So what? What is so wrong about being happy and feeling good? I'll answer that..nothing! Shortly thereafter another blast from the past came over the stereo system - Elton John's "Bennie and the Jets" and I was transported back to my teenage self singing into a hairbrush in front of the mirror listening to Casey Kasem's "American Top 40"...yes I certainly am dating myself!

I guess that's why I love music so much - it can lift you up, comfort you, inspire you and transport you.

Later on today as a respite from the chilly weather I'm headed to an aromatherapy class to be transported by another sense  - the nose.

No comments:

Post a Comment